View All JURISDICTIONS and Find out More Where to Incorporate.
The Best & Recommended Offshore Jurisdictions For International Business and Investment
Holding Company Formation
Setting Up Holding Company
Why Register a Holding Company
Global Premier provides business incorporation and registration services to register holding company. We render the best registration and incorporation services with the goal that you begin maintaining your business easily.
We are a top offshore incorporation service company giving you the best legal help and solutions regarding setting up and establishing holding company with the right authorities.
Multinational companies may decide to establish a holding company for a range of reasons. For example, a holding company may be an efficient vehicle to own shares of other companies to form a corporate group, to allow the reduction of risk for the owners and thus allow the ownership and control of a number of different companies or, amongst others, to provide tax efficiency in relation to withholding taxes on dividends and taxes on capital gains.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Holding and Subsidiary Companies
There are certain advantages to acquiring a controlling interest in a subsidiary as a holding company.
- Set Up Holding Company
The most important ones include: The capability of controlling operations with a small percentage of ownership, thus lesser up-front investment;
- Holding company set up can take risks through subsidiaries, thus limiting this risk only to subsidiaries instead of placing the parent company on the line;
- Expansion can occur through the way of simple stock purchase in public market, which shuns the difficult step of obtaining approval from the subsidiary’s board of directors;
However, there are also some disadvantages associated with holding companies model. These include:
If less than 80% or 90% of the stock is owned by the parent company, the holding company can eventually pay more taxes, depending on its company of registration’s rules.
A holding company can be required to dissolve more easily as contrasted to a single merger operation.
Moreover, there are possibilities of a holding company to expand through the use of debt or leverage, building an intricate corporate structure which can include unrealized values, thus creating a risk if interest rates on obligations or the evaluation of assets posted as guarantee for loans alter radically.
Finding the Right Location for a Holding Company
Choosing the appropriate location for a holding company is a complex procedure—involving consideration of business, economic, logistical and operational requirements.
Choosing the right jurisdiction for a holding company, you need to consider (a) taxation of incoming dividends; (b) corporate income tax on received dividends; and (c) taxation of ongoing dividends.
Incoming dividends from a subsidiary company must be either exempted from withholding tax or be subject to a reduced tax rate (i.e. 5%-10%); this can be achieved by having a DTA (Double Taxation Agreement) in place – a convention for avoidance of double taxation, between the state of the parent company and that where the subsidiary is located.
If the parent and subsidiary companies are located in the EU member states no withholding tax is levied on such dividends from the subsidiary according to the EU parent/subsidiary directive. This rule applies where the parent company holds more than 10% of stake in its subsidiary.
On the other hand, it is vital that the holding jurisdiction, where the funds will be received as dividends, be exempted from corporate tax or reduced through tax credit method.
The Netherlands, as an example, apply the “participation exemption rules”, to exempt incoming funds from the subsidiary, from taxation on the parent company level. Nevertheless, this “participation exemption rules” apply if the following conditions are met: the Dutch holding must own at least 5% of shares of its subsidiary, such shares must be held from the beginning of fiscal year, the subsidiary profit must be taxed, the parent company must be actively involved in the business of its subsidiary, and the subsidiary must not be a ‘tax exempt portfolio investment company’.
If the beneficiary is domiciled in different jurisdiction than the holding jurisdiction it is of the essence that the ongoing dividends are subject to low tax rate. As it has been seen above under the EU parent/subsidiary directive no taxes will be levied in the dividends flow within the EU jurisdictions. Another option is to choose a jurisdiction with an extensive network of DTAs or even a jurisdiction where taxes are paid only once and on the company level, i.e. no withholding taxes are levied on the outgoing dividends.
Advantages of a Subsidiary Company
- The holding company provides the subsidiary company with buying power, research and development funds, marketing money and know-how, employees, technical expertise and other features which otherwise it could not afford or accomplish alone.
- The parent can provide the monetary means and capability to jump start new companies and products.
- Ability to offset profits and losses of one part of a business with another;
- Liabilities and credit claims are locked in that subsidiary and cannot be passed on to the parent company;
- Allows for joint ventures with other companies, with each one owning a portion of the new business operation;
Disadvantages of a Subsidiary Company
- A major disadvantage of being a subsidiary of a large organization is the limited freedom in management
- Decision making can become time consuming as issues often must go through various chains of command within the parent bureaucracy before any action can be taken.
- Legal paperwork involved with creating a subsidiary can be lengthy and expensive
- Control also becomes an issue when a subsidiary is partially owned by another outside organization.
Tax Reasons to Set Up a Holding Company
- Looking for an expert to help you register your holding company? Look no more. Here, we take utmost dedication for giving the best solutions to establish holding company without any problem.
- A holding company usually collects the dividends (profits after tax) of the subsidiary company as free from tax as possible and does not tax pure participation profits.
- In addition, further distributions from the holding companies usually only have a lower tax levied on them or, in other and best case scenarios, they are full tax exempted – no tax on dividends being paid to the shareholders of the holding company or umbrella company.
- In addition, Holding companies can substantially reduce the taxable profit of the subsidiary companies, by invoicing the subsidiaries in respect of their activities, same also applying in the case of holding companies holding industrial property.
Holding Company in the European Union
In case the subsidiary companies are located within the European Union, then, and also as a standard rule, a Cypriot, Dutch, Luxembourg, Spanish or UK Holding company will be suitable due to the EU parent-subsidiary directives – tax-free collection of dividends, provided that the preconditions of the parent-subsidiary directive are met, with respect to the value of the stake and the period for which it is held.
Cyprus and Netherlands, in particular, have a so-called holding privilege, which means there will be no taxation of proceeds purely from holdings.
Cyprus offers further benefits in this connection, considering it will be tax exempted at source in the event of further distributions to non-Cypriot owners, and even under non-DTA circumstances, active income is taxed at a rate of only 12.5%.
Other Countries Where to Register a Holding Company
Other countries such as Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), certain offshore countries or Singapore may also be suitable as the location for a holding company.
Company set up and corporations provided limited liability protection to their owners. Typically, the owners are not responsible for the debts as well as liabilities of the business. Corporations also gains tax benefits such as deductibility of health insurance premiums paid on behalf of an owner-employee. It also helps saving on self-employment taxes. It may help a new business establish credibility with potential customers, employees, vendors as well as partners. Global Premier & Associates is the best online destination for hassle-free company set up
Why Global Premier?
What separates us from our competitors is that our services don’t end with the registration of your company. We offer a wide range of additional services others can’t or just won’t offer, such as lifetime free support.
Whilst most providers either specialise on personalized consultation at relatively high rates or run bulk registration factories without any support, we want to offer the positive aspects of both types.
Therefore Global Premier combines professional advice, worldwide registration services, reasonable fees, customized order processing, lifetime support and fast processing. Where others see company formation services as a bulk registration with no support and no individual assistance, we do care about your business needs.
Should you have any question or matter
You would like to discuss or clarify with us
Should you like to receive further Information
About our services and fees, …
Our multi-lingual team of business advisors is happy to assist you with all upcoming questions and issues in relation to your company.
You may call or email us, and we will be happy to assist you in a fast and efficient manner.
You can also come and visit us at our Limassol offices to discuss issues face to face if you prefer. Just arrange an appointment and we will be happy to meet with you.